I have seen a lot of cat tents floating around the internet lately. Our cat, Smittens, is always finding new places in our apartment to hide from our puppy. So I decided to try and find out if he would enjoy his own hide away. I found some pretty simple instructions and modified them to fit the supplies I had on hand. It only took about 10 minutes to put it together. (So if he ended up hating it, no harm done.)
- Medium or Large T-Shirt (I used a v-neck to make the opening bigger for all of Smittens’ fluff)
- Two Wire Hangers
- A Piece of Cardboard (I used the lid of a large pizza box)
- Safety Pins (optional)
- Something to Cut and Bend the Hangers (I used a combination of Scissors and Vise Grips)
- Reenforce the edges of the cardboard piece with the tape.
- Cut and bend the wire hangers into “C” shapes.
- Tape the hangers together at the top, making a “X”.
- Cut holes in the corners of the cardboard piece and insert the ends of the hangers. Bend under and reenforce with tape.
- Insert wire structure into the t-shirt and tighten around the bottom. Attach to bottom using tape or safety pins.
- Place a blanket or old bed inside for added comfort.
Introducing your cat to his/her new hangout could take some time. Be patient and try placing treats inside and placing the tent in an area he/she frequents. It make take several days for your furry friend to be comfortable with his/her new hang out so just let it happen at its own pace.