Everyone who knows me, knows I adore my dog. I spend more time with him, than I do anyone else. He is truly my best friend. So in anticipation for his birthday, I searched the internet for the best dog cake recipe I could find. Koda loves apple sauce and peanut butter, so I looked for one that called for both. I think what I came up with turned out great. I let Koda eat his cake a little early so I could get some cake smash photos done. He absolutely loved it. He ate it all, down to the very last crumb.
- 1 cup of Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/8 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 1/2 cup Apple Sauce
- 1/2 cup Canned Pumpkin
- 1 Egg
- 1 part Plain Greek Yogurt
- 2 parts Peanut Butter
- Milk Bone Minis (Optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease small cake pan. (8″ round will work, I used a small glass Pyrex bowl. You can also make cup cakes.)
- In a large bowl, mix flour and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix together vegetable oil, peanut butter, apple sauce, and pumpkin. Once mixed together well add egg and continue mixing until combined.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined
- Pour into greased pan.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes (or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean from the center.)
- Allow to cool before removing from pan.
- Once cooled, place on plastic cake board. If there is a rounded top, be sure to cut it off.
- Mix the greek yogurt and the peanut butter until well combined. For more color, add more peanut butter. Once you are sure the cake has cool, spread (or pipe) the frosting onto the cake. If not using right away, store in the refrigerator.
- Add Milk Bone Minis for added decoration.
Koda loved his cake! He couldn’t eat it fast enough! I will definitely be making this cake again in the future, possibly as little cupcake treats. It is so simple, there is no reason not to spoil your fur babies! I can’t wait to see all the amazing doggy cakes you all make!