I have been getting a lot of compliments on the length of my hair lately. Over the course of the past three years, I have changed many things about my hair care routine. I have learned many things along the way and my hair is longer than it has ever been. About a year and a half ago, I decided to start taking Biotin. I took this picture to document my progress. The photo on the left was my hair the first day. The photo on the right was only four weeks later. I continued to keep up with my new hair care routine and in four short months, my hair had grown another inch and a half. I never thought my hair would ever grow past my chest, but today my hair is past my chest when it’s tied back. The picture on the left is my hair a few weeks ago. It is down to my rib cage. My hair just keeps growing and until it starts to get so long that it gets creepy, I intend to keep up with great hair care and keep growing it out.
If you want to know the secret to getting your hair to grow in as full and a healthy as mine has been the past three years, here are a few tips:
1. Nothing, I repeat nothing makes your hair grow “faster”. Your hair grows at the speed it wants. The difference is how strong your hair grows. If it’s weak, it breaks and doesn’t get as long. Once you understand that, the rest is easy.
2. Biotin is your best friend. You can find Biotin at Walmart. I take two, 5000 mcg of Biotin a day.
3. I started my growth journey by using The Not Your Mother’s brand hair care products. The NYM brand of shampoo and conditioner isn’t the trick, the way you apply it is. Massaging your scalp draws blood to it which stimulates hair growth. These shampoos are thicker and cause you massage it in. But they also smell amazing and keep your hair fresh. They are amazing, but you don’t NEED them.
4. Don’t wash your hair everyday. If you do, you’re stripping your hair of it’s natural oils and hair needs those oils. Try every other day, or every three days if you can.
5. If you’re hair gets too greasy after one day, try shampooing your hair twice on days you wash it. The first wash will clean your hair. The second wash will clean your scalp. This should leave your hair cleaner, longer.
6. Put as little heat on your hair as possible. Duh. Try and only curl, or flat iron your hair 2 times a week at the most and let your hair air dry when you can.
7. If you have to use heat… USE HEAT PROTECTANT!!!!
8. If you go tanning, wear a shower cap or wrap that hair in a towel. The tanning bed is just as bad for your hair as that blow dryer!
9.Do your best to never brush your hair while it’s wet. If you must, use a wide tooth comb and start at the ends and work your way up little by little. This will cause the least breakage and keep your hair strong.
10. Deep condition. You’ll be amazed what one day of deep conditioning will do for damaged hair.
11. Get it trimmed! Split ends can prevent your hair from growing. Make sure to get those taken care of!
12. And last but not least….Go as long as possible without dying your hair. Obviously. I used to dye my hair every few months. But since I started this journey, I haven’t dyed my hair in three years.
If you can do half of these things, you’ll start noticing changes very quickly! Don’t believe me? Give it four weeks and watch your hair get noticeably healthier!